So my husband bought some old plaid thermoses off eBay a few years ago. As I was going through our storage area I came across them and a light went off.. hehe! I thought those would look awesome at our camp in Canada. So he begrudgingly allowed me to take them and use them for my light experiment.
So I went to Home Depot and bought a few lamp kits.
The first thing I had to do was drill a small hole is the bottom side of the thermos to run the electric cord for the lamp. This turned out to be a bit trickier then I thought. When I drilled into the thermos I heard a loud pop it was the inside insulation part coming out, good thing I had the top off. It’s something to be mindful of if you do this project ( see the silver tube thing below). Notice the white around the electric plug, it’s a piece of tubing, I was worried about the jagged edges of the hole I drilled cut the electric plug. Not pretty but better then a fire.
I was all ready to grab the spray foam and start shooting ( I love that stuff). I picked up the thermos and noticed it was way to light and would never stay standing up once I put a lampshade on it. So I went into the yard and started picking up rocks. I didn’t use huge one because I was worried about how I would get the lamp rod level with a bunch of big rocks in there. The size you see below worked out perfectly.
Now it time to put the actual light kit together. I got 2 kits one with the lamp kit and electric cord, and one with the rods to run the electric cord through and attach the light. I only needed one of the bars (it came with 2 for bigger lamps). First we drilled a hole in the original cap of the thermos to put the bar through. I drilled a hole the size of the lamp rod in the lid I tried to go as close to if not under the rod size so the would be tight and not move around. After that we place it all together so we could see how it would look and if we needed to cut the rod
Time for some foam!! Ok so quick warning about the spray foam buy the non expanding kind (it still expands) otherwise you will blow your thermos apart! Keeping the lid as close as I could to the top I slowly sprayed the foam. I tried to leave about 3 inches from the top thinking that would give it enough room to expand.
side note: the next day I had some foam coming of the lid were the rod goes into the top, no big deal just pulled it off.
Between the rocks and and the foam I had to quickly get the rod into a good position and put the lid back on. I had to move the rod around a bit to get it straight, but it wasn’t hard. I let it set up overnight. I placed this awesome lampshade that we got from Shadyplace on Etsy and it was good to go!
If you are making a lamp share your photo, I’d love to see it.